Zucchini has received a good amount of love recently. It is on the top of everyone's spiralizing list. We have been fans of zoodles for quite some time but decided it was time to enjoy this veggie in a different way. With that said, we decided to make stuffed zucchini. This dish is very filling and is high in protein as we used lentils and cannellini beans. This dish is also very easy to make on a weeknight; just make your lentils the Sunday before you prepare this dish and store in a container as they take 20-25 minutes until they are ready to eat. We hope you enjoy this healthy, colorful, meatless dish!
4 large zucchinis, cut lengthwise
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups of fresh spinach, roughly chopped
1/2 cup cremini mushrooms, chopped
1 can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup lentils, cooked
2/3 cup tomato sauce
2 tsp Italian seasoning(Basil, Thyme, Oregano, Marjoram, Rosemary, Garlic, Crushed Red Pepper)
salt and pepper
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 and spray a large pan. Lay the zucchini in the pan about an inch apart.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and add the olive oil. Sauteed the onion and peppers for about 3 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and sauteed for another 30 seconds.
- Add the spinach, mushrooms, beans, lentils and tomato sauce and cook for about five minutes.
- Add the Italian seasoning and salt and pepper, to taste.
- After five minutes, top the zucchini with the lentil mixture.
- Combine the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses and spread evenly on each zucchini.
- Bake on 400 for 20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Enjoy!