You ever just want dessert but can't commit to: 1. Getting up and leaving the house to buy some and 2. Making a dessert big enough to eat for a week and a half. We present hand pies! It's such an easy thing to commit to because you likely have all the ingredients on hand. It's definitely for the lazy baker. Pick your fruit, add some spice, a sprinkle of sugar and lemon and your set. We are replacing the sugar with candy caramels in this recipe. Shelly made apple caramel hand pies one night and not only had them for dessert but for breakfast the next morning. Oh yes, breakfast. So easy and satisfying. Enjoy!
Apple Caramel Hand Pies
2 green apples, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
Half of a lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon flour
Soft candy caramels, quartered
2 pie crusts
1. Bring your pie crust to room temperature. Heat your oven to 375.
2. Combine the first five ingredients and stir to combine.
3. Roll out your pie crust. Cut out circles with the top of any drinking glass(round mouth).
4. Divide the rounds in half and top set of rounds with two spoonfuls of the apple mixture. Leave room on the edges. Top each one with four of the caramel quarters.
5. Top each half with the second set of circles. Pinch the edges shut with a fork by pressing down.
6. Brush with egg wash(one egg and a tablespoon of water). Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!