Our mouth is watering as we write this entry... Shelly has been craving lamb for quite some time. Oddly enough, she just recently made the time to actually go to the right grocery store to purchase ground lamb. That's neither here nor there. This recipe came about after having a surplus of mint and wanting to try the new spice blend she purchased from a spice boutique in Williamsburg, VA. These lamb meatballs can be made on a weeknight as they take about 40minutes from start to finsh and the flavors just burst in your mouth! They were served with plain greek yogurt, Indian-spiced roasted veggies, and mint cilantro grilled naan. You want flavor? We got you!
Lamb Kofta Curry Meatballs
1 pound ground lamb
1/2 medium yellow onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons of fresh ginger, minced
2 tablespoons, fresh mint, chopped
1 tablespoon, coconut Thai spice blend (We used this one)
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 teaspoon dry turmeric
1/2 teaspoon, coconut Thai spice blend
1 14 oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1. Add all the meatball ingredients in a medium bowl. Using your hands, incorporate the seasonings in the meat. Form 1 1/2 inch meatballs and add them back in the bowl. Set aside.
2. In a large pan, add the olive oil on medium heat.
3. Add the onion and cook about 3 minutes until it starts to soften.
4. Add the ginger, garlic, garam masala, turmeric, and spice blend. Cook for about 1-2 minutes until you smell the spices.
5. Add the tomatoes and broth. Cook for 3-5 minutes until it starts to simmer.
6. Add the meatballs and cook for about 15 minutes until the meat iscooked throughout and the sauce has reduced to a thick chunky consistency.
7. Enjoy alone or with the recipes mentioned above!