Everything about pizza puts you in a happy place. Cheese, sauce, bread... It's easily the most versatile meal you can make. It can be transformed into any meal of the day and most times takes minimal time to prepare. In this recipe, we are using bold flavors to satisfy our pizza craving. This shrimp pesto pizza is Shelly's favorite to make at home because it's super fast and so flavorful! The lemon vinaigrette dressed arugula on top complements the shrimp perfectly and makes you feel like you ordered it from your fav gourmet pizza shop. Enjoy!
Shrimp Pesto Pizza
1/2 pound of large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 store bought pizza crust, brought to a cool room temperature
1/2 cup pesto (recipe below) or store bought pesto
1 cup of shredded mozzerella cheese
1 cup of grape tomatoes, halved
2 cups arugula
Dressing for arugula
Juice of a half lemon, about 2 tablespoons
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 garlic cloves
1 1/2 cups basil
1/4 Parmesan cheese
1/4-1/3 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Prepare the shrimp by heating a pan on medium high heat. Add the olive oil and while it heats up, chop each shrimp into thirds. Season with salt, pepper, and oregano. Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the shrimp and cook about 2 min on each side. The shrimp will not be cooked all the way but don't worry it will finish in the oven on top of the pizza. Remove from the pan and set aside. Turn off the stove.
3. While the shrimp cooks, make the vinaigrette by combining the ingredients in a small bowl and whisking until incorporated. Taste to ensure it is seasoned to your liking. Toss the arugula in the dressing and set aside.
4. Next, make the pesto by adding the first four ingredients in a food processor. While the ingredients are blending, add olive oil until it forms a paste. Season with salt and pepper and pulse until it is a thick sauce consistency. If you need more olive oil, add a little at a time.
5. Roll out the pizza dough to a round or rectangle crust as thick or thin as you like.
6. Spread the pesto sauce on the crust.
7. Top with the cheese, garlic shrimp, and tomatoes.
8. Bake the pizza for 18-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden. At the 10 min mark add the arugula on the pizza and finish baking.
9. Remove from the oven, slice, and enjoy! Serve with the extra arugula for a refreshing side salad.