Yes, you read that right. When Shelly recently visited Miami, she ordered vegetable fried rice at Baoli and it was super tasty and loaded with veggies. She immediatly knew this would become a staple dish in her home. We all know fried rice is pretty easy to make but we don't always add fresh veggies. Our recipe includes 9 different vegetables which is why we name it "Rice Fried Vegetables". Packed with 8 cups of veggies and only 1 1/2 cups of rice, the name is very fitting. It has been tested on our children and they gave it a thumbs up. It could've been the chopsticks that sold them, but we arent complaining! The key to using so many veggies is making sure they are thinly sliced. That way they are faster to cook and easier to eat mixed with the rice. Prep the veggies on Sunday and this turns into a 20 minute weeknight meal. Enjoy!
Rice Fried Vegetables
1 1/2 cups of jasmine rice, cooked according to label instructions
3 tablespoons of canola oil
2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 small red pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium zucchini, cut into matchsticks
1 small red onion, thinly sliced and roughly chopped
1/2 cup edamame
2 cobs of corn(remove the corn from the cob)
1/2 cup portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 cup of bean sprouts, set aside a small handful for a garnish
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil
3 scallions, chopped
sesame seeds (optional)
sriracha sauce (optional)
- Once the rice is cooked, spread it in a thin layer on a backing sheet to allow it to cool.
- Heat your pan on medium high heat and add the canola oil. Saute the veggies, starting with the carrots, red pepper, zucchini, and onions for about 3 minutes until they start to soften. Add the edamame, corn, mushrooms, bean sprouts, and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Push the veggies to one side of your pan and add the eggs. Scramble the eggs in the pan and combine with the veggies.
- Add the rice, soy sauce, and sesame oil and stir all the ingredients to combine. Taste the mixture to ensure it is seasoned to your liking. Add a little salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Cook the rice mixture for another 5-7 minutes, allowing the bottom layer to get a crust. Stir the mixture again to allow the crispy rice to integrate with the rest of the rice mixture.
- Serve in a bowl and top with scallions, sesame seeds, and sriracha sauce. Enjoy!