Figuring out what my girls are eating for lunch each week can be a chore. Asking myself if my youngest daughter will change her diet this week to avoid anything but candy occurs all too often. This recipe was my attempt at giving into her mac and cheese phase but still making sure that she gets the necessary nutrients. I like to make zoodle dishes because they turn into quick meals that are guilt free. We can be honest and say there is nothing like baked mac and cheese with pasta but this is a close second that will satisfy your craving on a weeknight. A lovely accompaniment to a protein of your choice. Enjoy!
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 shallot, chopped
2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
3 tablespoons of salted butter, separated
1 cup of whole milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup of your favorite cheese blend(I used mozzarella, mild cheddar, and parmesan)
3 large zucchini
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Scallions, chopped with green parts separated from white part
Tools needed: spiralizer
1. Preheat the oven to 375.
2. Heat a skillet to medium high heat and add olive oil
3. Add the garlic and shallots to the pan and sautéed for 2 minutes
4. Lower to medium heat and add butter to the pan of garlic and shallots until melted.
5. Add the flour to the pan and stir for to make a golden reaux, about 5 minutes.
6. Add the milk and stir until the sauce is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Add the cheese and stir until the cheese melts.
8. Spiralize the zucchini. Put the zucchini between two paper towels and gently press the water out.
9. Fold the zucchini into the cheese sauce.
10. Add the cheesy zucchini mixture to a greased medium casserole pan.
11. Combine a teaspoon of olive oil, paprika, and breadcrumbs and add to the top of the zucchini.
12. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and the top is golden brown.
13. Top with scallions and enjoy!